Monday, April 14, 2014

Roasted Brussels Sprouts for my Seder meal

Tonight, the first evening of the Passover, instead of the traditional matzah and hard-boiled egg, I feasted on roasted Brussels sprouts, cooked in olive oil and garlic, steamed broccoli with special sauce, and grilled salmon.  Mmm.  Ah, yes, some barley rice accompanied the lot, as well as salmon sashimi in spicy soy with wasabi.  But then I thought, how about a bit of sweet after the meal? [Something is missing here - deliberately]. 

This clearly was not a traditional Seder, but my memories of the traditional celebration was at my grandfather's table, in our tiny home in a little town in Israel.  While we sang the traditional songs of the Passover, the entire community did likewise.  Things were unified in those days; they were simple and clear.  Now they are less so.  It was enough that I remembered it was Passover.  No need for further celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment