Thursday, March 27, 2014

How to Handle Cravings and Other Temptations

Woe is me! I'm in the grips as I write this of a forbidden fruit.  OMG, I'm struggling, white-knuckling it.  I cannot give in to this temptation because of the immeasurable damage it would create.  Unlike a piece of chocolate cake that can be enjoyed, relished, and even repeated manifold, this temptation cannot be canceled out with a brisk walk. Like anger, once the words fly out, they can never be recaptured.  You can say I'm sorry until your ears fall off, but the words - and their effect - will never completely dissipate.  So it is with some cravings.

So how do I handle them? I don't have an answer any more profound than simply to resist.  As I sit here writing, my mind and heart are filled with plum ferries, but I cannot, must not indulge.  The aphorism, "5 minutes on your lips, forever on your hips" is so apt, even though this has nothing to do with food. Indeed, it is much more damaging.

I must keep my head.  I must remain resolute, stare the road before me squarely, knowing that the wolf is in the forest, ready to pounce, ready to distract me with his pretty camouflage. 

I must focus on the task at hand: my work, my writing, my books.  I must do whatever I can to sidestep this fantasy.  My life will not be better if I indulge - au contraire!

Get a grip! Wake up! Stop this nonsense!

No comments:

Post a Comment