Saturday, March 9, 2013

Is Pizza "bad" for you?

The short answer is yes.  Another short answer is no.  OK, so what gives?  It's all in the wrist, as they say.

In this case, pizza, it's all in the ingredients and the volume consumed.  There was a time when I would easily consume half a large pizza at one sitting.  To some, that might not sound like much, but to a 5 foot 1 inch woman, that was a lot, believe me! The type of pizza I preferred was thick, rich, with pastrami and lots of cheese.  Mmm, it was delicious.  But of course, I could barely get out of the booth I was sitting in!

Time went by, and I discovered some other versions of pizza: the California kind.  What is a California pizza? For one thing, it is inventive in its variations, unlike the ubiquitous overcooked tomato sauce and store-bought mozzarella.  I had the pleasure of consuming one of the most delicious concoctions called pizza I had ever had in my life in the suburbs of San Francisco.  The pizza was given some California name that I can't recall, but I can fully remember the unbelievable flavor.  It was a pie topped with olive oil, garlic, fresh spinach, fresh artichokes and that it! If Heaven is a state of mind, I was there! It was incredible.

Was it low in calories? I don't think so.  Nor do I care.  I was consuming some nutritious food, including bread, olive oil and fresh vegetables, not to mention to heart-healthy garlic.  I am confident that I enhanced my health rather than deplete it, as I used to do with the conventional variety.

In this blog, I discuss how NOT to diet, yet stay slim, trim and healthy.  How does pizza fit into this lifestyle? By nourishing your body, you find that you do not crave food so much, especially the wrong kind of food.  By consuming so-called comfort food (pizza), your soul is being nourished.  And if you nourish those aspects of yourself, you are much more likely to be content with one or two slices of hearty, healthy fare than going bonkers with a box of bon-bons while sitting in your robe watching TV.

1 comment:

  1. I love pizza so I always try different low calorie pizza recipes.

    ReplyDelete